MDDA was established in 1984 with objective of planning and development of the city.
Dehradun manifests its position as an important city in the most fertile region of Doon Valley between rivers Yamuna and Ganga. It is in fact, the most developed city in the Sivalik foothills and the gateway to the far-flung hill areas of Uttaranchal. To check the haphazard development and degradation of natural environment, to sustain the glory of the city and to build further upon it was colossal task handed over to the MDDA in the year 1984 under the provisions of U.P Urban Planning and Development Act 1973. MDDA is a local decision making agency and it is totally self-sufficient, capable of undertaking all sorts of activities for well planned urban development. The challenges before MDDA are massive and diversified, as Dehradun Mussoorie's requires an integrated development process, which has to be inexpensive, functionally utilitarian, environmentally healthy, re-creationally adequate and aesthetically appealing.MDDA is committed to keep pace with the needs of fast growing population and relevant infrastructure required for such phenomenal growth. The Development of Dehradun / Mussoorie in a planned manner, creating quality infrastructure, provision of sites and services and the housing needs of under privileged are the focus areas of MDDA.MDDA was established in 1984 with objective of planning and development of the city.
To make the city meet modern urban standards, it undertakes the following:
- Implementation of the Master Plan.
- Acquisition of land to implement the various schemes.
- Enforcement of plans and development schemes.
- Adaptation of measures for protection of natural environment in the development area.
Mussoorie Dehradun Development Area:
- Mussoorie Dehradun Development area includes Dehradun Urban Agglomeration, Mussoorie Municipal area and its surrounding 185 Revenue Villages of Dehradun District.